Sunday 2 March 2014

Target: My target is to revise more terminology so that I can use it effectively throughout my essays
Task: I am going to set myself the task to set myself certain days and times to allow myself to revise 2-3 framework techniques to boost my confidence and knowledge about the terminology that I can use in my essay during my exam. I will review my task with the frequent tasks I set myself.

Text 1:
Pizza Hut Advertisement
Liked this? How about Seconds?
Your own create your own pizza
was just the beginning...
Here are some more mouth-watering
deals to tempt you...

Text 2:
L'Oreal advert starring Cheryl Cole

What if you could transform your skin to look
pixel perfect? Breathtaking. New skin perfection by
L'Oreal. Advanced skincare with powerful formulas
helps transform your appearance of skin quality. 
Texture feels silky soft, pores look virtually undetectable, 
tone appears more even. Cheryl: Look photo-ready at 
every angle.
New Skin Perfection by L'Oreal Paris
Cheryl: Pixel perfect your skin, we're worth it

The two texts that I have chosen are both advertisements, that hold the same primary purpose, to persuade the audience to buy what they are selling. The secondary purpose of the advertisements are to inform the audience about the product that they are trying to sell, telling the audience what effect the product will have on the consumer if they choose to buy the item that is trying to be sold. 

Both texts include Fairclough's synthetic personalisation, as the product from text 1 is assuming that they know the audience's required needs,'mouth-watering deals to tempt you', implying that they are assuming that they know that the deals will have the effect of making the audience's mouth water. Text 2 shows synthetic personalisation, however it also includes Fairclough's idea of building the consumer, as it tells the audience everything that they want to be, making themselves fit into the category of the consumer, 'what if you could transform your skin to look pixel perfect?', along with the list of what the product will help the audience achieve, 'texture feels silky soft, pores look virtually undetectable', making them want to buy the product to achieve the results that they desire. This particular framework allows the product to be advertised successfully to achieve the results that's wanted. 

The fact that the L'Oreal advert also has celebrity Cheryl Cole sponsoring the product allows the audience to relate and wish to look like Cheryl, wanting to buy the product to achieve the same results that Cheryl appears to achieve during the advertisement. The use of choosing a familiar celebrity also encourages the audience to buy the product due to the idea that if Cheryl uses it or rates it highly, then the product must be worth purchasing.

1 comment:

  1. Some very good detail and focus. Try and contrast more, showing how the differing APF and how the audiences recieve the text has an effect on language use. You also needed to spend a little longer on A, justifying the comment about "effect ...on the consumer".

    ReplyDelete